"If I were to ask God why He lets poverty and injustice exist, why there are so many orphans and why He does nothing about it, I am SURE He would ask me the same ..."

author unknown

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

About Us

My name is Jessica and my dear sweet hubby is Kelly. We have three beautiful girls, big sis and little sis plus our newest little baby sis :) Welcome to our site where we will blog about our journey to grow our family through adoption in Africa.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

My new hobby and some fun stuff for baby


So, it must have something to do with nesting and being pregnant, but I seem to navigate towards the craft side of things when I'm pregnant. With Big Sis, I learned to cross-stitch. I would sit for hours cross-stitching and watching the winter olympics (hey, I was bored, by myself, and the hubby was in Greece with the Navy!).

Then with Little Sis, I picked back up the cross-stitch project that was never finished the first go around (well, I think I started a little too late in the pregnancy, like with only a month or 2 to go.....so it didn't get finished)

This time, I decided that I wasn't going to work the on same project (and I haven't seen said project in awhile) ;) so instead, I have been learning to knit.

I absolutely love it!

I've managed to make each of the girls a scarf, one for my mom, mother in law, and sister in law for Christmas. And now I am on to baby things. What fun!!! I've made a cheesy little hat for this little one with matching booties, I've made some seriously tiny premie hats for sweet little twins born 8 weeks early that looked just like this.
Then I made the same pattern for my own little one (now that I feel more comfortable following a better pattern!), and I have moved on to this cute, cute blanket. I am a little worried on the time issue, the days keep ticking away and this LO will be here before I know it. But, hopefully my girlfriend will brush up on her knitting and can help a little with a couple of the squares.

It's been a ton of fun to learn to knit and now I'm having fun with the more challenging patterns of this blanket.

I have also been sewing for baby.  This time around I am going to try for cloth diapers.  Along with those I am using cloth wipes, which I have made about 30 with some flannel scraps I had and some cute flannel I scored on black Friday for cheap.  Here are some of the wipes, some are 2 sided flannel, some are the same material on each side and some are different.  I also make a couple with flannel on one side and terry that I cut from towels.


Cloth diapers have been super fun to shop for, but they are expensive.  Since one of the reasons that I want to use cloth is to save money, I decided to make a few myself.  These first ones are fleece covers to go over prefolds.  Poor Kelly is not excited about any sort of diaper that he has to snappi or pin so he will have his own few diapers that will be super easy.

 These are a couple of newborn sized fitted diapers.  I have 5 other NB dipes that I bought from a friend and the rest we will use at that size will be prefolds.  The pattern I used is the free one at the bottom of this page.  I didn't add snaps since I have no snaps and no idea how to put them on :)  I'll just snappi or pin them.  She won't be this size long, so I didn't make that many and I tried to make them gender neutral so that hopefully they will get used again ;)
 Lastly, I have made 3 one size pockets from this great pattern.  It was very easy to make and I'm quite impressed with myself.  I was a little afraid of the elastic, but it turns out, I can do it!  I did add elastic to the back of the outside fabric that was not part of the pattern, hoping that this will contain a little more mess....
I have a ton more fabric from my Black Friday spree, but like I said, running out of time.  I may just cut the fabric and sew them when I get a chance.  

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Hi, Jessica! I found your blog by reading a comment you left on Hyperactive Lu's blog. (I really like what you had to say about joy. I am a mom of 5 and I have to choose joy every day. I'm not always so good at it!) Anyway, I was happy to find you and have a look around. :-) It is fun to find other homeschool mom blogs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails