"If I were to ask God why He lets poverty and injustice exist, why there are so many orphans and why He does nothing about it, I am SURE He would ask me the same ..."

author unknown

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

About Us

My name is Jessica and my dear sweet hubby is Kelly. We have three beautiful girls, big sis and little sis plus our newest little baby sis :) Welcome to our site where we will blog about our journey to grow our family through adoption in Africa.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Thanking God for my Family

Our application and new family of five picture has been submitted and we wait.  I've made doctor's appointments and homestudy appointment trusting God will allow us back into the Ethiopia program officially, and soon ;)


So, it's been a lot of drama around these parts, not drama directly related to us, but by one or two degrees.


Needless to say, I am so thankful for my sweet husband who is laid back and not only puts up with all of me, but he also bends over backwards to be a very giving husband. I think that's one of the pitfalls of marriages these days, we as a society are so concerned about me, me, me. A marriage can really only be successful if you are focused on giving to your spouse. You have to focus on their needs, giving them what they need.  Marriage is an act of sacrifice, it's not about you!

One of the best books that is my mantra for a healthy marriage is His Needs, Her Needs by Willard F. Haley. It is a wonderful book that was very eye opening for me, explaining that while we all have our top needs, most of the time men and women's top needs are literally the opposite of each other. And that we (as naturally selfish people) will try to give our spouse OUR OWN top needs. See the problem? If I need conversation as one of my top needs, that cannot be one thing that I give my hubby if it's way down at the bottom of his list. I need to find out what his top needs are and give those things to him. It's what we did when we dated, but it gets put on the back burner a lot when we settle in for the long haul and get complacent in our lives and marriages.






So, off my soapbox! Needless to say, this week I am cherishing my husband and everything that he does to sacrifice for me.

Second, I am hugging my kiddos extra and especially my sweet miracle baby. Truly, all babies are miracles from God. If you have carried a baby in you womb, given birth to them and then watched them grow up, be thankful. Not all mommies will get that chance. Yes, they can adopt, they get to be a mommy...but not without heartache. This week, a bloggy friend of mine had to deliver her 20 week baby girl and instantly give her over to God. She has already said goodbye to 4 babies through miscarriages. The tears flow freely for her and I have never even met her in person.

Times like this, I ask God why, what is the reason for this level of pain. And then I remember, it's sin. My sin, your sin. That is why there is pain and ugliness in this world. How I long for Christ to return on days like that. I actually feel guilty that I have Baby Sis, how easy it is for us. I would give the gift of my healthy pregnancies to her if I could.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails