"If I were to ask God why He lets poverty and injustice exist, why there are so many orphans and why He does nothing about it, I am SURE He would ask me the same ..."

author unknown

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

About Us

My name is Jessica and my dear sweet hubby is Kelly. We have three beautiful girls, big sis and little sis plus our newest little baby sis :) Welcome to our site where we will blog about our journey to grow our family through adoption in Africa.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Why not adopt from here (the US)? Why Africa?

Well, I didn't actually think we would be answering this question as much as we have, but this seems to be the number one question. Naturally, with some people I smile and give them my reasons and I chuckle afterwards because I fully expected it. Then others ask it and I get a little rubbed wrong under the skin. Well, I'm in a pretty good mood this morning so I thought I'd tackle this question in a mature tone ;)

First, let me tackle the why not adopt an American? Well, for us... we know that there are orphans here is the US in the foster care system. Sadly these children are not necessarily in the foster care system because both of their parents are gone or their parents are too poor to take care of them, but for a host of all kinds of other reasons. Though foster care is not perfect and broken in many places, these children know what it's like to live in a nuclear family setting. They have plenty of clothes and food and will receive an education if they stay in school. The second part to my decision to not adopt a child from foster care, many of the children are older and have a host of problems (many of which are not of their making). This said, I want to protect my children and not bring in an older child that might disrupt the birth order of my kids and make for a very hard family adjustment. The NOT part is only very small in our decision. The main reasons are the WHY AFRICA?

Why Africa? Even more than the why not the US, we feel like it's the reasons that we SHOULD adopt from Africa. If you look at my statistics page at the top, you will see the staggering numbers. Some are worldwide, but many of the numbers are for Africa and they will break your heart if you think on it enough. As I typed this last sentence, 2 children became orphans in Africa because of AIDS. In Ethiopia alone, which is about twice the size of Texas, there are 4.3 million orphans. These children grow up in crowded orphanages never knowing the love of sole providers. The babies won't get the constant holding, cuddling, and playing that my girls alone would provide and baby sibling, not to mention the mommy and daddy cuddling and playing. In most countries, when children turn 16 (sometimes as early as 14), they are handed a couple hundred dollars and they are sent on their way..... no family, no support. As I write this, I want to yell, WHY NOT? Don't tell me we don't have enough money or enough room. Americans with their $40,000 cars (an adoption - $25,000) and our 2000 square foot homes. Come on! Families used to (and still do) raise children and make them share a bedroom, gasp!

Okay, okay, I seem to have lost some of my cool that I had a the beginning of my post....deep breath. We as Americans are just so removed that we can easily go on with our days and then actually ask, why. Amazing and so, so sad. We are not all called to adopt, I understand that. But I do wish that we were more compassionate as a nation. The reactions that we have had over the past week show me that we are not quite as compassionate as we "think" we are.

Simply know this, Kelly and I have been called to help in some small way, this is the way we feel God is leading us. :) We hope you find your way to help.

1 comment:

Lori Gariepy said...

Jessica, I think what you guys are doing is wonderful! You are obeying God's call on your life & you don't need to justify it to anyone. Congratulations on your decision! We will pray for your family & this new baby. Miss seeing at the Creek!
Lori Gariepy

Related Posts with Thumbnails